Monday morning

Up bright and early, as usual. It’s pretty light by 5:30, with lots of bird calls and other noises. I headed down to the dining area about 6:30 to make my French pressed coffee. There is no brewed coffee here, only hot water, instant coffee, tea and cocoa. Fernando found this small French press for me, and provided some lovely Peruvian coffee, so I have a special treat each morning. This year the hot water does not seem as hot, so it’s not brewing as well as it did last year. I’m hoping to mention this to David, the boss here.

While my coffee was brewing Fernando appeared, with the new music teacher, Rafael. Rafael speaks some English, and is married to a woman from Long Island. We had a bit of a conversation about the joys of Manhattan.

This morning Fernando and I will go to the library at 9, it is the morning for a staff meeting. I believe we will make out the schedule for events to happen while I am here. My visit end coincides with a reading comprehension test already scheduled. I expect a lot of time will be devoted to preparing the contestants for that. My first craft will be making small books. We hope to go on to some sort of pop up book or card. But first I have to learn how to make them. I also found a book in Spanish about crafting with toilet paper tubes, and hope to try that before I leave. I just asked the lodge workers to save empty tubes for me. Not sure they understood, we shall see…

We will return here for lunch, and Rafael will return with us after lunch. Some of the music students from our other library will be coming here by boat to meet him and allow him to meet all his students.

Fernando has warned me that the path is quite wet and slippery, so I will walk that mile in my boots. He actually did not find the right boots for me, I had left mine at the office with my name on them. It’s ok, because the ones he did find are cuter! But they are more cumbersome than sneakers, no matter how cute.

You, my readers, are really getting a benefit from my lack of internet. I rarely have time to tell you so much when I still have to check email, play words with friends, and read the local newspaper. I hope I haven’t bored you, and hope I can insert some good photos to break this up.
I also hope we have internet later today.

Ciao for now

And here is an unexpected addition. It’s just before 11 Monday, and I am back at the lodge. Fernando and I walked to the river and got in our boat, but the motor wouldn’t start. Neither would the other boat’s. So after about half an hour of his trying, we gave up and walked back. Today I did time and measure it. It’s a brisk 14 minute walk, about 1500 steps. ¾ mile ish.
And the internet is back. So I’ve taken a brief break and will head down now to try to post all of this.
Fernando used some of his time to wash Rex, here they are.